This healthier Broccoli Chicken Casserole recipe is made with your choice of pasta, tender chicken and broccoli, and the most delicious creamy cheddar mushroom sauce. If you grew up eating broccoli chicken casserole,
Raise your hand! Make that two hands if yours always included a can of cream of mushroom soup! Ah, what can we say, it’s what all of the cool kids were doing back in the 80s. For those of you who still crave a good throwback chicken casserole every now and then nowadays, I have a modern version today that I think you are going to love.
Meet my 100%-from-scratch, lightened-up, still-ultra-cheesy and creamy, comforting chicken and broccoli casserole recipe!
It’s made with all of the classic components from the broccoli chicken casserole recipes of my childhood, just freshened up a bit to bring us into 2019. We’re talking lots and lots of broccoli (you can use fresh or frozen), tender chicken (feel free to use a rotisserie as a shortcut), your choice of pasta (I used whole-wheat, but any kind will do), and lots of sharp cheddar cheese (get the good stuff! ). Then in lieu of canned cream of mushroom soup, this broccoli chicken casserole recipe features an easy homemade creamy mushroom sauce instead, made with lots of fresh mushrooms and zesty seasonings to ensure that this casserole is anything but bland.
It’smodern and creamy, cozy comfort food at its best. Because it disappears in a flash, and get ready.
Let’s make some chicken casserole!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Ingredients:
Ok! Before we get to the full recipe below, let’s talk about our shopping list. To make this broccoli chicken casserole recipe, you will need:
How To Make This Casserole:
To make this broccoli chicken casserole recipe, simply…
- Cook the pasta and broccoli. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water (don’t forget to generously salt the water! ) until it is al dente. But — plot twist! Before the pasta is done cooking to give it a quick cook too, — toss the broccoli florets into the water about 1 minute. Drain both.
- Make the mushroom sauce. Meanwhile, we’ll work on the sauce. Saut the onion, followed by the mushrooms and garlic in butter (or oil) until softened. Stir in some flour and let it cook for 1 minute (this will help to thicken the sauce). Then add in the milk, salt, stock, pepper and Dijon, and cook until the sauce reaches a simmer. Stir in half of the shreddedtaste and cheese, and adjust any seasonings as needed.
- Put everything together. In a large 9 x 13-inch baking dish, give everything a good toss — the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom sauce and chicken — until combined.
- Bake. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then remove pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on top of the casserole, and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty.
- Enjoy! Serve warm and nice, garnished with extra black pepper and/or fresh herbs, if desired.
See full recipe instructions below.
Want to customize this chicken broccoli casserole recipe? Feel free to…
More Favorite Casserole Recipes:
Lookin’ for more casseroles to love? Here are a few of my faves.